Sunday, January 13, 2008

System Build Tip #107: Keep Those Screws

One of my pet peeves is when I open a system to do some work and discover that it uses custom screws. This is because it's usually only moments later when I discover that the spare custom screws are nowhere to be found. Usually this hits me with things like screws for specialty slide in hard drive mounts or rail systems. While I applaud the case manufacturers for trying something new, it can be a burden tracking those custom pieces over time.

So I decided to keep track of these things the same way I keep track of stereo warranties: with some plastic and some tape.

In every set of system hardware, there are always a few leftover zip-loc baggies. When I've completed the system and know what screws are spares for later hard drive or rail installations, I collect them up and toss them in one of the baggies.

The "normal" screws that are so often used in system builds I don't bother to keep track of. Over the years I've managed to collect mason jars full of them. If I need one of these 3 common sizes, I have thousands of spares at my fingertips. It's the specialty ones that apply only to one particular system case that tend to get themselves lost.

Once I've gotten them into a baggie, and the system is all tested and ready to put into place in its final home, I pop off one of the side panels and simply tape the baggie inside the system. That way if I open that system in 2 years and need one of the spare specialty screws, they are right there where I need them, not lost in the bottom of a toolbox in the garage somewhere, never to see the light of day again .
A baggie full of screws taped to the inside of the side case cover, before I flip it over and re-attach it.


When you tape in your baggie, remember to:

  • Roll up the baggie with the screws, make it tight enough that fan vibrations won't cause any noise, forcing you to open up the system again and find what's causing all the racket.
  • Tape your baggie out of the way of the air flow. never obstruct the air flow in your system.
  • Use tape that won't leave behind adhesive. Duct tape and scotch tape are both big culprits. I usually have some blue painter's tape around the house from various odd jobs. This stuff is designed to not leave a residue and works like a charm for me.

One of the best solutions for this I have seen is a case used by Alienware that had pre-drilled holes along one of the support struts in the case and had made room for each of the special hard drive mounting screws (16). Just take out the ones you need and use them, or put unused ones back on the strut. Very nice work there, guys.

P.S.
Just in case anyone was following that comment above about stereo warranties... when I get a new stereo components, DVD, or whatever, I get the warranty and toss it in a zip-loc bag and tape it to the bottom of the unit. No unit I've seen has air intakes underneath, so it's no obstruction. And anytime I've ever needed a warranty for any piece, it's right there on the unit, but out of sight.

No comments: